What is the most important thing to remember when creating a disaster recovery plan?
Boyd: My first piece of advice is to try and keep it simple. Try and tackle this in bite-sized blocks. A lot of people get stalled. They don't know where to begin and just never begin. They can do very simple tasks.
About 65% of recovery we make include the need for us to bring power generator because they've lost power. If you know that there's the likelihood that you're going to need power, today find out what kind of generator you need. Do you need a small one that you can get from
(HD - Get Report) or
(LOW - Get Report) or a big one
Any electrician can tell you how big of a generator you need. Do you need permission from you landlord? Those aren't hard things to figure out, but if you don't know them, all of those things are going to delay your recovery.Communication is another huge thing that people forget about. A lot of those alternative communication tools are free. Set up a Facebook (FB) page; have a system to send out text messages. Set them up and practice them. The first time to get info to your employees shouldn't be the day after the disaster. Of course disaster planning differs by geography, but what other factors can go into a plan? Boyd: The damage caused from an ice storm can be very different from water damage when the Mississippi river floods. A tornado in Oklahoma as bad as it was, it only hit one city. A hurricane like Sandy impacted 15 different states. The response times are different
- PrepareMyBusiness.org: The SBA and Agility Recovery are working together to encourage all small businesses to have a recovery plan in place. SBA's programs and services are targeted specifically to small businesses. Agility Recovery Solutions offers testable, turn-key disaster recovery solutions and business continuity services for small and mid-size businesses.
- FEMA's Ready.gov: Agility does a lot of work with FEMA to help create preparedness awareness including tips and webinars.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts