Another stock that's starting to trend within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade is Apple (AAPL), which designs, manufactures and markets personal computers, mobile communication devices, media devices and portable digital music and video players and sells a variety of related software, services, peripherals and networking solutions. This stock has struggled so far in 2013, with shares off by 16.4%.
If you look at the chart for Apple, you'll notice that this stock recently spiked back above its 50-day moving average of $434 a share, after pulling back from its recent high of $463 a share. Shares of AAPL have now been trending sideways and consolidating right above its 50-day moving average. That move now has AAPL quickly moving within range of triggering a near-term breakout trade.Traders should now look for long-biased trades in AAPL if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance at $448.35 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above that level with volume that registers near or above its three-month average volume of 16.80 million shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then AAPL will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $463 to $466.86 a share. Any high-volume move above those levels will then put $481.75 a share into range for shares of AAPL. Traders can look to buy AAPL off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day at $434 a share. One can also buy AAPL off strength once it takes out $448.35 a share with volume and then simply use a stop that sits a comfortable percentage point from your buy entry. I would add to either position if AAPL clears $463 to $466.86 a share with heavy upside volume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV