JACKSONVILLE, Fla., May 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Did you know that an average train can take more than a mile to stop? CSX (NYSE: CSX) and its employees remind motorists and pedestrians to exercise caution near railroad tracks as the busy Memorial Day weekend approaches, marking the unofficial start of the summer season. To ensure safety, CSX urges all travelers to obey warning signs and devices at grade crossings and to stay off railroad property.
"Trains cannot stop quickly," said Terry Ludban, director - community affairs and safety. "To remain safe this summer and all year round, everyone should use good judgment, obey the law and stay away from train tracks."
CSX offers these important reminders:
- Obey posted signs at railroad crossings. Last year, 270 people died at crossings nationwide. To protect yourself and others, carefully observe all posted signs and warnings at crossings and always expect a train.
- Do not walk or ride ATVs or other recreational vehicles on train tracks. People struck by trains while illegally on railroad property is the leading cause of rail-related deaths, according to the Federal Railroad Administration. Train tracks are private property and trespassing on railroad property is against the law.
- Do not trespass on bridges or in tunnels. Trains overhang tracks for three feet or more, and do not always operate on predictable schedules. Being on bridges or in tunnels makes an already dangerous situation even more hazardous.
CSX actively promotes safety around railroad tracks. The company's "Play it Safe" campaign encourages people to stay away from tracks and use caution at crossings. Supporting the campaign is NASCAR driver David Ragan, who drives the #34 car for Front Row Motorsports. He will be racing at Charlotte this weekend with a Play it Safe bumper sticker on his car.For more information about safe rail practices and CSX's commitment to serving the communities in which it operates, please visit http://www.beyondourrails.org/. About CSX CSX, based in Jacksonville, Florida, is a premier transportation company. It provides rail, intermodal and rail-to-truck transload services and solutions to customers across a broad array of markets, including energy, industrial, construction, agricultural, and consumer products. For more than 185 years, CSX has played a critical role in the nation's economic expansion and industrial development. Its network connects every major metropolitan area in the eastern United States, where nearly two-thirds of the nation's population resides. It also links more than 240 short-line railroads and more than 70 ocean, river and lake ports with major population centers and small farming towns alike. More information about CSX Corporation and its subsidiaries is available at www.csx.com. Like us on Facebook ( http://www.facebook.com/OfficialCSX) and follow us on Twitter ( http://twitter.com/CSX). SOURCE CSX
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts