NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Stephanie Link spoke with Colin Gillis, technology analyst at BGC Partners, to talk about LinkedIn (LNKD) after his firm initiated coverage of the stock with a buy rating.
Gillis says LinkedIn has a "wonderful" business, although he says the stock is not for everyone. "It's very expensive from a ratio basis," he said, "but it's a high growth name."
LinkedIn has three main businesses: recruiting, advertising, and premium subscriptions. When Gillis noted that LinkedIn only monetizes roughly 1% of its registered users, Link chimed in, "that's the million dollar question. How do they get it beyond that?"
Gillis also told Link that you should just "close your eyes," when asked about investing in LinkedIn for the long term. It is a very volatile name, where the stock rose or dropped more than 2% 49 times in 2012."This is a high-growth, high-quality company," he added. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV