DEVENS, Mass., May 24, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- AMSC (Nasdaq:AMSC), a global solutions provider serving the wind and power grid industry, today announced that China's Supreme People's Court has scheduled a hearing for May 29, 2013 to review the jurisdiction of AMSC's software copyright infringement cases against Sinovel Wind Group Co, Ltd (Sinovel) and Guotong Electric. During the proceedings, the court is expected to review the jurisdiction of AMSC's civil action filed against Sinovel in the Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People's Court as well as AMSC's civil action filed against Sinovel and Guotong Electric in the Hainan Province No. 1 Intermediate People's Court. These are two of the four legal cases that AMSC brought against Sinovel in late 2011 regarding Sinovel's contractual breaches and AMSC's discovery of intellectual property theft by Sinovel. AMSC is also engaged in a commercial arbitration case and a trade secrets case against Sinovel in China.
In September 2011, AMSC filed a civil action with the Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People's Court that alleges Sinovel's unauthorized copying and use of portions of AMSC's wind turbine control software developed for Sinovel's 1.5 MW wind turbines and the binary code, or upper layer, of AMSC's software for its PM3000 power converters. In this case, AMSC is seeking a cease and desist order and damages totaling US$6 million. In November 2011, Sinovel filed a motion to remove this case from the Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People's Court and transfer the matter to the Beijing Arbitration Commission. The court denied Sinovel's motion to remove the case. Sinovel filed an appeal of that decision to the Beijing Higher People's Court, and the Beijing Higher People's Court supported the Beijing No. 1 Intermediate People's Court's ruling and rejected Sinovel's appeal. Sinovel then filed an appeal of that decision with China's Supreme People's Court.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV