Leopold's mention of margins was also noteworthy, which suggests increased profitability while Cisco endeavors to build its SDN business. Leopold was proven right as Cisco just posted a solid first-quarter gross margin of 61.4%, which indicates the company's strong competitive leverage against the likes of F5 Networks (FFIV) and Juniper (JNPR) remains steady.
Elsewhere, revenue surged 5.4% to $12.2 billion, which led to a non-GAAP net income of $2.7 billion, which represents year-over-year growth of 4.7%, or 51 cents per share -- topping Street estimates of 49 cents. John Chambers, Cisco's CEO said that the company managed to execute "in a slow, but steady economic environment."
In other words, amid such periods of turbulence with weak carrier spending and soft enterprise IT environment that has not fully rebounded to more robust levels, Cisco still managed to outperform its rivals and exceed expectations. This is while amassing cash levels of more than $47 billion.
In fact, while analysts still model the stock for $25 to $30 per share, when applying a modest 4% to 5% free-cash-flow growth, the stock still supports a fair market value of about $35. (Shares were recently trading at about $23.50.) Cisco remains a strong buy. But if you've been reading me for a while, you would have already known this -- even though the Street is just now waking up to this idea.At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV