Fast Food And Takeaways In Chinese Market Hit RMB 1 Trillion In 2012 Report
NEW YORK, May 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- According to a new report released today by market insight leader Mintel, the fast food and takeaway market is expected to reach RMB 1.8 trillion by 2017 largely bolstered by rising economic power in lower-tier cities. This growth compounds growth in recent years; the value of the fast food market in China doubled between 2007-2012 to reach RMB 1 trillion with 80% growth in outlet numbers since 2007.
However, while fast food outlets are expected to continue to see explosive growth in China, that growth is actually slowing.
David Zhang, China research analyst at Mintel, said:"Much of the growth to date has continued to benefit from a perceived 'novelty factor' enjoyed by fast food as the segment expands into smaller cities in China. The consumers in first- and a few second-tier cities where fast food has now been available for quite some time are becoming more attuned to the health issues often associated with fast food and are actively choosing healthier options when dining out." "Greater transparency will be key to maintaining market share, as Chinese consumers begin to demand more information about ingredient sourcing and food preparation. Widespread food scandals have meant greater scrutiny on all aspects of the food industry, and fast food outlets are not immune to this, fueling recent trends for organic and 'green' food products in the marketplace," David Zhang continues. In addition, it seems that health is a growing concern for fast food customers too: less than half (40%) of Chinese fast food eaters perceive it as not being 'bad for them,' suggesting a need for expansion of healthy product lines and further education about the food industry.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV