NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- TheStreet's Jim Cramer and Debra Borchardt discussed some of the stocks investors can buy to take advantage of the strong housing recovery.
"New home sales numbers came out and, boy, were they good," Borchardt said. Cramer's explanation was simple: there's a "housing shortage." It helps that the median home price this month was $271,000, the highest level since 1993, Borchardt added.
Cramer noted that the housing market continues to move in cycles, where the market tends to move up when there is a shortage in housing and down when homebuilders meet demand with an increase in supply.
So how does an investor play housing? According to Cramer, we're only in the second inning of the rally and there's plenty of room to go. He noted several companies that should benefit from an increase in homeownership, including Toll Brothers (TOL), Home Depot (HD) and Sherwin Williams (SHW)."Don't out-think this," Cramer said, adding Masco (MAS) and Whirlpool (WHR) to the mix of names that will benefit from a continued housing recovery. None of these companies are part of his charitable trust,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV