A colleague forwarded some comments made by a Goldman Sachs analyst who was pointing out the impressive million-contract-per day average volume for S&P 500 (SPX) index options this month has come with unusually flat Put-Call skew and a steadily declining put/call volume ratio in the product, which is typically where the largest institutional money manager go to hedge.
When I'd occasionally lose sleep because of downside risk on our books, one of the smartest index traders I knew (and the youngest managing director ever named at Salomon Brothers) used to tell me to 'Relax, the puts you are short are the reason fund managers won't dump their positions into a downward move.' Basically suggesting that a hedged market is unlikely to crash. While I readily admit this argument was partly to justify our level of risk (and collection of theta), I do believe there is validity to it, and that's why today's unusually flat SPX vol skew and relatively low put open interest (compared to call OI) tells me that we might be in for a serious pullback.
OptionsProfits can be followed on Twitter at twitter.com/OptionsProfits.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV