Today's ValuEngine shows that 15 or 16 sectors are overvalued, with 14 overvalued by double-digit percentages. Six sectors are overvalued by 20% or more; retail-wholesale by 24.3%, transportation by 23.5%, autos-tires-trucks by 23.5%, finance by 21.4%, consumer staples by 21.0%, and consumer discretionary by 20.0%.
Technical momentum is also becoming more overbought. For the Nasdaq, its 12x3x3 weekly slow stochastic reading is 88.48 on a scale of 00.00 to 100.00, where readings above 80.00 are overbought. The Dow Industrial Average is the most overbought, with a reading of 92.16.
Since the year 2000, all major equity averages have crossed their 200-day simple moving averages as a reversion to the mean. Nasdaq is well above its 200-day simple moving average, at 3133.
To trade the Nasdaq 100, consider the PowerShares QQQ Trust (QQQ) ($74.26). My quarterly value level is $68.95, with a semiannual risky level at $78.39. The 200-day SMA is 67.71, last crossed as 2013 began. Wednesday was a key reversal day.
Keep an eye on the
PHLX Housing Sector Index
(HGX) (202.63) as a close this week below last week's low of 203.33 is a weekly key reversal. For the major equity averages to have weekly key reversals, they would have to close below last week's lows: 15,053.46 Dow Industrials, 1626.74 S&P 500, 3426.67 Nasdaq, 6324.48 on Dow Transports and 971.24 Russell 2000.
At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV