By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Cree (CREE) has been rampaging higher, and the bulls jumped in Wednesday.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of some 5,000 December 62.50 calls for $8.65 and the sale of an equal number of December 70 calls for $5.40. Volume was more than five times open interest at both strikes, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Owning calls lock in the price where the stock can be bought, while selling them obligates the investor to unload shares if a certain level is reached. The combination gives the investor control of the spread between two prices at a low cost.In this case, the trader paid $3.25 and will receive $7.50 if the stock closes at $70 on expiration. That would be a profit of 131% on a move of less than 20% in the share price. Cree shares rose 0.94% to $60.41 Wednesday and have rallied more than 75% since the beginning of 2013. The company is a member of the light-emitting diodes industry, a small but fast-growing niche within the technology sector. Total option volume in the name was seven times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for more than three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in CREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV