By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Cree (CREE) has been rampaging higher, and the bulls jumped in Wednesday.
OptionMonster's tracking programs detected the purchase of some 5,000 December 62.50 calls for $8.65 and the sale of an equal number of December 70 calls for $5.40. Volume was more than five times open interest at both strikes, indicating that new positions were initiated.
Owning calls lock in the price where the stock can be bought, while selling them obligates the investor to unload shares if a certain level is reached. The combination gives the investor control of the spread between two prices at a low cost.In this case, the trader paid $3.25 and will receive $7.50 if the stock closes at $70 on expiration. That would be a profit of 131% on a move of less than 20% in the share price. Cree shares rose 0.94% to $60.41 Wednesday and have rallied more than 75% since the beginning of 2013. The company is a member of the light-emitting diodes industry, a small but fast-growing niche within the technology sector. Total option volume in the name was seven times greater than average in the session, with calls accounting for more than three-quarters of the total. Russell has no positions in CREE.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV