O'Keefe started his petition after reading the now infamous comments that resurfaced this month from a Business Insider article that questioned why the company still won't offer large size clothing, even after its competitor, H&M, decided to use a "plus-sized model" to show its swimwear this spring.
The article sparked two separate responses that each went viral -- a
heartfelt open letter by a marketing executive to Jeffries as well as one angry consumer to donate Abercrombie clothes to the homeless in a
O'Keefe said he's optimistic that Abercrombie will create a consumer culture that is open to all.
"I took my petition and the voices of 68,000 people from across the globe who added their names to Abercrombie & Fitch's headquarters, demanding an apology and a plan from the company to map a way forward where all young customers feel welcome and embraced at their stores," O'Keefe said in a statement in the Change.org release. "I'm happy to hear that Abercrombie took my passion and your voices to heart in this meeting and plans to take concrete steps to show their support for diversity and inclusion."An Abercrombie spokesman wasn't immediately available on Wednesday. "I will continue these conversations with their executive staff to share our concerns with them to make sure that consumers see those changes implemented in their local Abercrombie store," O'Keefe added. "When the voices of many come together to amplify something they believe in, change does come!" -- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: email@example.com.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV