NEW YORK, May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In a new Thomson Reuters survey of U.S. accounting firms, 24 percent of respondents said their business clients are not fully aware of their potential exposure to penalties under aspects of the Affordable Care Act that take effect in 2014.
"The 20,000 pages of legislation outlines new obligations for employer-provided health plans," says Jim Reeves, vice president, medium and large CPA firm markets, Thomson Reuters. "In our survey of CPAs, more than 70 percent said their clients are counting on their guidance on these issues. This creates a significant opportunity for firms that develop expertise to help clients unravel the complex legislation and implement the new requirements."
The survey asked more than 130 U.S. accounting firms for the biggest challenges they and their clients face in implementing the health care legislation. Here are the top three responses:
- Assessing the impact of employer-shared responsibility requirements – i.e., determining large employer status, assessing affordability and minimum value of coverage, and estimating possible penalties.
- Understanding nondiscrimination requirements for employer-provided health insurance plans.
- Calculating premium-assistance and cost-sharing reduction subsidies to allow individuals to see the subsidy they would receive based on varying income levels, family size, etc.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV