DALLAS, May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) today expanded its sensorless, brushless DC (BLDC) motor driver portfolio with a new device designed for high efficiency and low noise, which requires a low external component count of only one capacitor. The DRV10963 is a 5-V, 3-phase sensorless BLDC motor driver that simplifies layout and reduces board space by 80 percent, allowing designers to create smaller, sleeker, more innovative designs. It includes integrated commutation logic, which enables instant motor spin with no code development, while its 180-degree pure sinusoidal outputs provide an efficient and quiet drive. For more information or to place an order, visit www.ti.com/drv10963-pr.
Key features and benefits of the DRV10963:
- Extended battery life: Low operating range of 5.5 to 2.1 V, low RDSON of less than 1.5 ohm and ultra-low sleep currents extend battery life up to 25 percent compared to nearest competition in fans and portable, battery-powered personal health care and grooming devices, including electric razors and toothbrushes. It provides the lowest quiescent current to further extend battery life – 15 uA compared to 30 uA for the closest competitor.
- Low power: Utilizes a 16-bit, ultra-low power MSP430G2452 Value Line microcontroller with built-in timers, up to 16 I/O touch-sense enabled pins, built-in communication and a versatile analog comparator, allowing wake-up from low-power mode to active mode in less than 1 µs.
- Accelerated time to market: Integrated commutation logic eliminates code development, while advanced on-chip protection reduces design complexity and improves system reliability. This cutts development time from months to minutes.
- Reduced board space and ease of use: Single-chip solution slashes board space by 80 percent compared other discrete solutions, and integrated power MOSFETs simplify layout.
- Efficient and quiet drive: Pure sinusoidal outputs provide efficiency and noise-free operation.
Tools and supportThe DRV10963EVM evaluation module (EVM) is a cost-effective, sensorless solution for running a 3-phase BLDC motor. The EVM includes a TLC555 low-power timer configured to supply pulse width modulation (PWM), and a potentiometer to adjust the speed of the motor.Support is available on the Motor Driver Forum in the TI E2E TM Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts. Package, availability and pricing The DRV10963 is available now in a thermally efficient, 10-pin 3x3 mm USON package with an exposed thermal pad for a suggested retail price of US$0.49 in 1,000 unit quantities.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts