BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- 2013 is turning out to be a pretty good year for Warren Buffett. Year-to-date, the octogenarian billionaire has seen his firm, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A, BRK.B), rally more than 25.6%. That's almost double the returns that investors have gotten from the broad market over that same period.
And a lot of that upside in Berkshire's price has to do with Buffett's $85 billion stock portfolio.
May has been high season for Buffett. The Oracle of Omaha hosted Berkshire Hathaway's annual shareholder meeting earlier this month, where he was grilled on stage by TheStreet's own Doug Kass.It's a little bit misleading to put all of the investment focus on Buffett; former hedge fund managers Todd Combs and Ted Weschler have a major role in selecting the stocks that make up Berkshire's portfolio. But considering the fact that both managers beat the S&P 500 by double digits last year, Buffett's hand-picked successors are worth listening to. >>5 Stocks the Smart Money Hates -- But Should You? Now, with the curtain pulled back on Berkshire's holdings for the last quarter, investors can finally catch a glimpse of Buffett & Co.'s favorite stocks. In a word, Buffett's investment team has been selective this year. Berkshire added just two new positions into its portfolio, and it increased just a few existing positions materially. But even though the buying has been cautious, it tells us a whole lot more about the stocks that these guys like than if they'd been buying with both hands. Today, we'll focus on five names that are either newly initiated positions or position increases for Warren Buffett's portfolio at Berkshire Hathaway. >>5 Stocks Setting Up to Break Out
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV