But he returned to his earlier point that RIM should have bought QNX earlier. Basically, he was suggesting that all of the noise about the separate offices wouldn't matter if the company had made the QNX acquisition earlier.
I agree with that.
If he'd made one decision differently, history, Research In Motion's stock price and Lazaridis' reputation would all be different.
But, even still, Lazaridis deserves enormous respect for what he did and what he's still doing. I love entrepreneurs who take a risk and build something.There's no one cheering them on when they decide to try something new. Society pats people on the back for making safe choices. For 10 years, the wise VCs wouldn't even deign to meet this guy. He might as well have been building his company in Antarctica. Yet, he changed the world. After about 30 years at RIM, Lazaridis has decided to exit and focus all his time on quantum computing. You would have to say there's no one in the world who's making a bigger bet on quantum computing personally than Mike Lazaridis. He lights up talking about it. He truly believes the effect of quantum computing over the next couple of decades will be bigger than even the silicon revolution. He hopes Canada will play a central place in that revolution as it sat out the silicon revolution entirely. I have huge respect for Mike Lazaridis' impact on the world through RIM and the remaining chapters to be written in his career through the exciting new bet he's making in quantum computing. Any entrepreneur should study his life to inspire their own choices. At the time of publication, Jackson was long BBRY and AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV