The dollar has continued higher as the economic picture has improved, and some have cited that fears of Federal Reserve tightening could be playing a role as well. The reality is that economies across the globe are in dire situations and have chosen wide-scale easing measures in an effort to provide some respite to their respective economies. The Fed chose to ease long ago, and has seen tangible economic benefits because of this.
Although easing will most likely be continued, in the long run, the dollar remains on an upward trajectory, as foreign central banks continue to ease and the U.S. economic picture continues to brighten. This should weigh on commodities such as oil and gold, which are priced in dollars. The pair will continue higher, as long as the U.S. remains the strongest of the recovering economies.The last pair is of SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) over an equal-weight DB Commodity Index Tracking Fund. Gold has been on a strong down trend recently, as commodities have been pressured by a stronger dollar. Gold has also fallen due to lower CPI projections worldwide. The pair spiked on a weaker dollar on Monday, but the continued uptrend in the dollar, due to reasons stated above, should push this pair below multi-year lows. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @AndrewSachais This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV