FRANKLIN LAKES, N.J., May 22, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- BD (Becton, Dickinson and Company) (NYSE: BDX), a leading global medical technology company, announced today the publication of its 2012 Sustainability Report. This is BD's fifth Sustainability Report and it continues to focus on the Company's shared value approach to sustainability.
"We believe the principles of shared value — creating value for shareholders by strengthening communities and addressing healthcare challenges of societies — are fundamental to our strategy," said Vincent A. Forlenza, Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and President. "For decades, BD's technologies and institutional knowledge have been applied for positive societal impact worldwide. We seek to further embed these capabilities more broadly in the Company to enhance our growth potential, societal impact and overall sustainability for decades to come."
This report aligns with version 3.1 of the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) guidelines, and the Company has self-assessed it at GRI application level B. BD's 2012 Sustainability Report highlights its strategic priorities and performance in five key areas:
- Addressing Unmet Health Needs: Throughout BD's history we have applied our technologies, resources and knowledge to help address the world's unmet health needs, fulfilling our corporate purpose of Helping all people live healthy lives. This year the Company Launched Labs for Life — a new collaboration with the U.S. President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief to strengthen health systems in the developing world.
- Protecting and Preserving the Environment: BD continued to make progress toward meeting its 2015 Sustainability Targets – meeting four of the five of this year. We received the WindMade ™ label for BD's global operations, for 35% wind power, and the Energy Star® Challenge for Industry Achiever Status from the U.S. EPA at five sites. Additionally, we added four sites to BD's portfolio of LEED-certified buildings.
- Ensuring the Safety and Environmental Performance of Our Products: The Company continually focuses on social and environmental impacts of our products, from development to disposal, including product quality, patient and healthcare worker safety and product stewardship. In 2012, we expanded our portfolio of safety products with the acquisition of Safety Syringes, Inc., conducted four Supplier Sustainability Summits and published Environmentally Preferred Procurement Principles.
- Guiding our Business with Good Governance and Ethics: BD remains committed to ethical operations and compliance with laws and regulations. In 2012, the Company updated and extended ethics and compliance training, expanded a comprehensive anti-bribery and anti-corruption program, and established a company-wide human rights policy.
- Making BD an Even Better Place to Work: For nearly 30,000 people in more than 50 countries, employment at BD isn't just work — it's a chance to make a real difference in the lives of others. The report highlights the ways we strive to create a work environment that encourages and rewards the pursuit of our purpose, provides opportunities for growth and is inclusive, safe and healthy.
The new report also highlights the many awards, recognitions and affiliations that BD received in 2012 in the areas of sustainability, innovation, employer of choice, and environment, health and safety, including:
- Dow Jones Sustainability World and North America Indexes
- 2012 Green Rankings Top 50 (Newsweek)
- World's Most Ethical Companies (Ethisphere Council)
- U.S. EPA Green Power Partnership Member – 2012 Leadership Club
- CEO Cancer Gold Standard™ Accreditation
- Best Employers for Healthy Lifestyles (U.S. National Business Group on Health)
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts