By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Cloud-computing stocks have been active recently, and Tuesday the bulls turned to data-warehousing company Teradata (TDC).
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected an early volume spike in the June 60 calls, with large blocks crossing for 80 cents and 85 cents. Those contracts lock in the price where the stock can be purchased, which can result in some nice leverage in the event of a rally.
That's what happened Tuesday. Teradata traded around $56.90 when the calls pushed higher before eventually closing the session up 2.88% at $58.24. The options, meanwhile, inflated more than 50% to $1.30.Teradata's last earnings report in early May was weak as management cited customer "belt tightening." It touched a 52-week low on an intraday basis after that release but then reversed and has been steadily climbing ever since. Total option volume was five times greater than average in the session, with calls outnumbering puts by a bullish 17-to-1 ratio. Data-center stocks including EMC and NetApp have also seen bullish activity in recent sessions. Russell has no positions in TDC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV