NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Memorial Day will be celebrated in a variety of ways, on Monday. For some, it's time to catch a good sale and see a parade, or fire up the grill, or just relax. Fashionistas may consider it as a green light to wear white slacks, white shoes and matching white handbags -- but only until Labor Day.
Many will remember our veterans who have died. Some will donate at the local VFW. Others will be reluctant to give.
As we prepare to honor our veterans, let's pause to remember the families and lives of our fallen business leaders. Since January 2013, we have lost at least one company founder or CEO per month.
In January 2013, Aaron Swartz, activist and co-founder of Reddit, and Jody Sherman, the founder and CEO of Las Vegas tech start-up Ecomom died. Officials ruled both deaths suicides. Swartz was only 26, Sherman, 47.In February 2013, Paul McIlhenny, the chairman and CEO of the Tabasco sauce company died after an apparent heart attack, reports say. He was 68. At the end of March, Analog Devices' (ADI) CEO Jerald Fishman died at 67, following an apparent heart attack. A month later, Al Neuharth, founder of USA Today and former Gannett (GCI) CEO, died after complications from a fall. He was 89. May marks the deaths of Ottavio Missoni, founder of the famous Italian fashion house Missoni, who passed away at home, at the age of 92. Then Toronto Sun's legendary founding editor Peter Worthington died. He was 86.
Editor's note: Our Friday Pre-Memorial Day Special examined military-related stocks and how to buy, sell or trade them. This feature includes a video by Gregg Greenberg, Defense-Stock Domination; and articles by Marc Courtenay One Priced to Buy; Robert Weinstein Bigger Guns, Bigger Profits; Richard Saintvilus Boeing's Offense Is Defense; Richard Suttmeier Sequester Survivors; and Richard Cox Bullish Earnings Support Defense.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV