We're seeing the exact same setup forming in UK-based data company Reed Elsevier ( RUK). For RUK, the breakout level to watch is $47, which is the resistance level that's been acting like a price ceiling for shares since the end of March. A breakout above $47 means that it's time to start buying.
Whenever you're looking at any technical price pattern, it's critical to think in terms of buyers and sellers. Triangles, rectangles and other pattern names are a good quick way to explain what's going on in this stock, but they're not the reason it's tradable. Instead, it all comes down to supply and demand for shares.That resistance line at $47, for example, is a price where there's an excess of supply of shares; in other words, it's a place where sellers have been more eager to take recent gains and sell their shares than buyers have been to buy. That's what makes the breakout above it so significant; a breakout indicates that buyers are finally strong enough to absorb all of the excess supply above that price level. At first glance, one thing that's obvious in RUK's chart is the abundance of gaps. Those gaps may make the chart look somewhat less well defined than that of CAG, but they can be ignored for all intents and purposes. Those gaps, called suspension gaps, occur because Reed Elsevier's shares trade off U.S. hours on the London and Euronext stock exchanges. From a technical standpoint, they're not significant.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV