MIAMI, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Today, TracFone Wireless, Inc. filed an official complaint before the California Fair Political Practices Commission, alleging violations by the unregistered entity "Two Countries, One Voice" (TCOV).
Since 2012, TCOV has been organizing protests in California and around the country against TracFone, its agents and representatives, and its parent company América Móvil. TracFone recently acquired Simple Mobile, a prepaid wireless provider based in Irvine. The apparent goal of these protests and a related media and lobbying campaign is to urge the government of the State of California to intervene in the marketplace in favor of TracFone's competition.
The TCOV campaign is targeted with great precision at state regulatory bodies and state officials in California, and the Political Reform Act requires disclosure of lobbying activity under the following definition:
§ 82032. Influencing Legislative or Administrative Action."Influencing legislative or administrative action" means promoting, supporting, influencing, modifying, opposing or delaying any legislative or administrative action by any means, including but not limited to the provision or use of information, statistics, studies or analyses. (emphasis added) We have hereby requested that the FPPC investigate our claims in accordance with California's ethics laws in order to determine the true sponsors of TCOV and whether the political process in California has been unduly subverted by corporate and/or political interests. We welcome healthy and transparent competition, and simply ask the FPPC to require TCOV to disclose its contributions and expenditures like any other political organization is required to do by law. We are proud of our record of providing low cost wireless plans to millions of satisfied consumers, with no contracts, no credit checks and at low pricing and with the customer's convenience in mind.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV