NEWARK, N.J. and NEW YORK, May 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines today will celebrate the 25 th anniversary of the airline's Terminal C hub facility at Newark Liberty International Airport, one of the world's most modern airport terminals and the cornerstone of the original and largest New York/ New Jersey airline hub.
To view the multimedia assets associated with this release, please click: http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61756-united-airlines-unveils-new-look-for-25-years-at-newark-terminal-c
Travelers arriving and departing at Newark Liberty today will join United employees in an anniversary celebration between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. at the upper level United Airlines ticket counter, where customers will have opportunities to earn prizes, travel discounts and bonus MileagePlus miles, and see the airline's new uniforms for the first time. The airline is also setting up a temporary exhibit during the two-hour period demonstrating how air travel has evolved since 1988."We are pleased to celebrate United's long history at our Newark hub - a premier global gateway and a powerful economic engine," said Jeff Smisek, United's chairman, president and chief executive officer. "We continue to make investments in our terminal facilities, our services and our people to ensure United's Terminal C remains a great place for our customers and co-workers." "Thanks to the Port Authority's strong partnership with United, Newark Liberty has become not only a world-class airport but also an important driver of economic growth, jobs and development for the entire region," said Port Authority Chairman David Samson. "The continued investment in Newark Liberty's facilities will ensure that the airport, and Terminal C specifically, remains a modern, premier gateway for travelers." As part of the event, Smisek will outline the airline's plans for further investments at Terminal C, including:
- a redesign of the airline's check-in facilities
- installation in gate areas of flight-information displays that offer customers more detailed information about their flights
- construction of a widebody maintenance hangar that economic development officials anticipate will drive $52 million in economic activity in the region
- a new checked-baggage screening system.
- Nearly two dozen United pilots, flight attendants, customer service agents and ramp workers will participate in an in-terminal fashion show that will debut the new uniforms that United employees worldwide will wear beginning on June 25. This is the first time that all employees at the new United will wear the same uniforms.
- Buddy Valastro, co-owner of the Hoboken, N.J. bakery Carlo's Bakery and star of the TLC program "Cake Boss," will join the program to present a cake made specifically for the occasion.
- At 1:15 p.m., the first Boeing 787 Dreamliner to fly from any of the three New York-area airports since the aircraft re-entered service will depart for Houston.
- This afternoon, United will send photos of iconic locations throughout Manhattan via Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, meeting up with the company's friends and followers in social media.
- the most saver-style award seats for frequent flyers among the largest U.S. global carriers, according to the 4 th annual Switchfly Reward Seat Availability Survey published this month by IdeaWorksCompany.
- more aircraft offering satellite Wi-Fi and live television than any other U.S. airline.