While the 30% profit decline is a pretty significant drop -- especially since North America is Baker Hughes' largest market -- it was nonetheless encouraging there was a slight 2% uptick sequentially. Again, this may be one factor in the upgrade by Credit Suisse.
For the performance, BHI CEO Martin Craighead said:
"Our first-quarter results reflect improvement in our North America segment. The increased revenue and profit margins in North America are due to higher activity levels in Canada, along with improved utilization in our pressure pumping business despite a 3% decline in the U.S. onshore rig count since last quarter."
Craighead touched upon some very important points. While the overall health of the industry is not of the "quick fix" variety, investors have to be pleased that management is moving the company in the right direction. Baker Hughes is actually showing decent progress. But the company is still behind Schlumberger and Halliburton. It's not bad company in which to be. But management has to do a better job in fixing its deficits in North America before investors are going to truly embrace this as a turnaround.
Here's Making SenseDespite the recent improvement, I would be hesitant to jump on Baker Hughes today. That's not to say there isn't plenty of long-term value in the shares. If the company can continue to improve internationally while waiting for North America to rebound, the stock should work to the extent of Credit Suisse's $54 target. But absent clearer signs of progress and a real bottom, patience is the best play here. At the time of publication the author had no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @saintssense This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV