The key areas where Google can attack Amazon are performance consistency, boot times and its pricing model. Amazon should be able to fight back on all these fronts because the company has a huge lead - by years - over Google on services breadth and eco-systems, but that doesn't translate into complacency when it comes to protecting its flagship EC2 service.
"Regardless of what else AWS [Amazon Web Services] brings to the table, they have to have a robust compute offering," said James Staten, principal analyst at Forrester. "This is what Google is questioning and so it will cause some doubling down by AWS on this service."
Google is clearly garnering a lot of attention from cloud developers and cloud native companies, given the company's size and strong credibility around its cloud services. However, it remains unclear whether Google views Google Compute Engine as anywhere near as critical to Google's success as Amazon views EC2. "They are a search and advertising company first and foremost," Staten said. "Most of this will be kicking the tires to determine if there are clear advantages to GCE. So it's a bit of wait and see at this point."Rackspace Hosting (RAX) will also be watching this rivalry closely given that the company's revenues have been trailing forecasts partly driven by Amazon's aggressive price-cutting. Google's cloud endeavors present a greater threat towards Amazon, which is also a pure play, rather than Rackspace, which offers a mix of managed services, traditional hosting and colocation. "Rackspace is a managed services company first and foremost," said Staten. "For Rackspace, they're best off not acknowledging Google at this point and instead continuing to talk hybrid cloud and openness." Follow @atwtse Written by Andrea Tse in New York >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV