May 20, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Sherwin-Williams' salute to
continues as it unveils a colorful banner on the side of its Prospect Avenue headquarters, celebrating many of the city's most beloved landmarks.
, Sherwin-Williams installed a banner featuring a beautiful black-and-white photograph of
with the headline "Our Home Since 1866. Our Pride Forever." The new banner celebrates
's vitality and amazing architecture with the title "Our Vibrant Home Town. Sherwin-Williams and
. Together Since 1866."
"We wanted to demonstrate our feeling of pride and commitment to the city of
while taking a more colorful approach, especially since our company is a global leader in color," said
, chairman and chief executive officer, The Sherwin-Williams Company. "The new headline, Our Vibrant Home Town, is a powerful, energizing message that
is not only one of the best locations in the nation, but our community is one of the best locations in the world! We want to salute the world class companies, natural resources, sports teams, health care and cultural institutions that make
a truly special place for our citizens and visitors alike."
The new banner features the following landmarks and icons:
- Terminal Tower
- Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
- Quicken Loans Arena
- Main Avenue Bridge
- Progressive Field
- Fountain of Eternal Life, also known as the War Memorial Fountain
- West Side Market
- Cleveland Harbor West Pierhead Lighthouse
- Goodtime III
- Global Center for Health and Innovation
- FirstEnergy Stadium, Home of the Cleveland Browns
- Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Bridge #463
- Key Tower
- Guardians of Traffic on the Hope Memorial Bridge
- Wind Turbine
- Veterans Memorial Bridge, also known as the Detroit Superior Bridge
- Lolly the Trolley
Landmarks such as the Terminal Tower and the West Side Market pay homage to
's rich heritage, while the Global Center for Health and Innovation celebrates the city's future. The bold colors featured in the banner were selected to reflect the city's vitality.
A true local work of art, the banner was developed by
-based agency The AdCom Group, which recommended that Sherwin-Williams commission
George Vlosich III
to illustrate the piece.
Vlosich is an internationally known artist for his illustrations and one-of-a-kind pieces of art using an Etch A Sketch
. Recently, he created murals for Positively Cleveland and
's Horseshoe Casino. KSK Visual Ingenuity printed the banner at their facility in
and oversaw its installation.
The banner is displayed prominently on the Ontario Street side of the Sherwin-Williams global headquarters building. For more information on Sherwin-Williams, visit
Interesting Sherwin-Williams Banner Facts
- The banner is mixed media - a combination of illustration, paint, ink and digital.
- Due to the detailed nature of the piece, the illustration took over 150 hours to create.
- One of the largest Vinyl Mesh wall banners in the U.S.
- The banner consists of 14 printed panels each 16' wide before finishing.
- There is a total of 23,320 square feet of printed vinyl mesh material, which is over ½ acre (43,560 square feet) and about half the size of a regulation football field end zone to end zone (football field is 48,000 sq ft).
- 7 gallons of ink were used to print the banner.
- Print time was 56 hours.
- 259 grommets(rings) are sewn into the banner
- The banner weighs approximately 1800 lbs.
- There is 2,074 feet of welding to join the 14 sections together.
- 322 ratchet straps hold the banner to the building.
- Over 1300 feet of cable attach to the side of the building to support the banner.
- 5,830 average size adults could stand on the banner, shoulder to shoulder, assuming each person is approximately 4 square feet across.
Time lapse installation video:
T-shirts, coffee mugs and posters are available for sale online. All proceeds will go to the United Way of Greater Cleveland. Visit
to find out more.
Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers.