NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The Japanese stock market recently has enjoyed a rise similar to that seen in U.S. equities.
The price appreciation has been nothing short of exponential. Since Prime Minister Shinzo Abe implemented his sweeping reform of both monetary and fiscal policy, markets have taken off.
Equity has been the in-demand asset class for investors across the world as of late, and it doesn't look as if this trend will be letting up anytime soon.The weakening yen and increased consumer confidence in Japan are helping the rally. Although inflation data are far from the desired 2%, Japanese stocks are likely to see further moves higher. The next chart highlights the economic validation for the exponential rise in the Japanese Nikkei index. The weakening yen has allowed the export-driven Japanese economy to gain a competitive advantage over other countries. South Korea and Australia have said the weakening yen is having tangible effects on their economies, but in recent world conferences, global leaders have looked favorably upon Abe's policy. As long as the yen remains weak against the U.S. and Australian dollars, exports should continue to grow. The increases in Japanese stocks and corporate profits have driven consumer confidence higher in Japan. The wealth effect has played a role in both consumer spending and consumer confidence. In the charts below it is apparent that the new expansionary monetary and fiscal policies have led to real gains in the economy.
As the consumer goes out to spend and confidence increases, riskier assets will continue to dominate the Japanese market.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV