Even though the stock has stagnated recently, the company does possess a solid operation and considerable value.
Investors, however, need more growth to justify hopping onboard. Last month's first-quarter earnings report offers clues about where BB&T is headed and whether its stock is worth a shot.
Mixed First QuarterNot much was expected from BB&T, which was a good thing because there was little to get excited about. The bank had a tough time with lending activity, which again was lethargic - albeit, consistent with the overall sector. Despite the weak lending environment, BB&T s managed to report a 4% increase in operating revenue. Net interest income fell 1% year over year and 4% from the prior quarter. Ordinarily that would be a concern, but BB&T's results were actually better than those of JPMorgan, whose net interest income fell 6% year-over-year and 2% from the prior quarter. Other than U.S. Bancorp (USB), which saw a 1% increase, there weren't many banks that saw an uptick in net interest income. So I'm willing to excuse BB&T here. But that needs to improve to support a higher valuation.
BB&T posted better-than-expected results in fee income, which rose 11% year over year. That is despite weak results in mortgage banking. Fee income is an area where BB&T is outperforming the likes of Bank of America (BAC) and U.S. Bancorp. These numbers weren't breathtaking. But they weren't horrible, either. The good news is that management expects better performances in the future and seemed to be optimistic about the rest of the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV