SAN DIEGO, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- General Dynamics NASSCO recently delivered USNS Montford Point (MLP-1), the lead ship of the Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) class, to the U.S. Navy. The ship is named in honor of Camp Montford Point, the Jacksonville, N.C., site where the first African-American Marines were trained.
Construction of the USNS Montford Point began in May 2011, incorporating a "design-build" approach to improve the ship's readiness for production. The 785-foot-long auxiliary ship will serve as a floating base for amphibious operations, and operate as a transfer point between large ships and small landing craft.
"Congratulations to the NASSCO-Navy-MSC team and to the entire group who built this ship," said Fred Harris, president of General Dynamics NASSCO. "The approach we have taken in building this first-of-class ship, with the requirements and planning complete and the material available at the start of construction, has resulted in the delivery of MLP-1 under budget and on schedule. This reflects NASSCO's tradition of delivering high-quality, mission-ready ships."
NASSCO is currently building the second ship of the class, MLP-2, scheduled for undocking in September and delivery in the first quarter of 2014. Construction of MLP-3, the third ship in the class, began in February.More information about NASSCO, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE:GD), can be found at www.nassco.com. More information about General Dynamics is available at www.generaldynamics.com. SOURCE General Dynamics NASSCO
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV