SUSQUEHANNA COUNTY, Pa., May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Cabot Oil & Gas Corporation (NYSE: COG) announces the use of Marcellus Shale natural gas to fracture wells via innovative dual fuel technology. This marks the first time "field" gas has been used in northeastern Pennsylvania for this purpose. The process of using clean-burning natural gas can displace up to 70 percent of the diesel fuel traditionally used to operate fracturing equipment. This successful effort was a partnership with FTS International (FTSI) and Caterpillar Global Petroleum (NYSE: CAT).
Use of dual fuel technology, where the engines operate on a mixture of natural gas and a small portion of diesel, provides several benefits:
- Reduced air emissions for a cleaner environment, due to a reduction in diesel usage
- Reduced truck traffic when field gas at or near the well site is used due to a reduction in the transportation of diesel fuel to site
- Reduced costs, as natural gas can be a less expensive fuel option than diesel, providing potential cost savings for the industry and for energy consumers
" Cabot is continually searching for ways to utilize cutting-edge, environmentally friendly technology during our operations," explained Dan O. Dinges, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer for Cabot. "We are already converting our vehicle fleet and currently have a drilling rig using natural gas as well, so the next step is to utilize the technology on a hydraulic fracturing site."In order to operate using natural gas, FTSI's mobile pressure pumping unit at the site was retrofitted with a Dynamic Gas Blending (DGB) kit from Caterpillar. The system enables substitution of diesel fuel with natural gas during high pressure pumping operations and is compatible with field gas, compressed natural gas (CNG) and liquefied natural gas (LNG).
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts