BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- So far, May has certainly lived up to the "new month, new market" mantra that's defined stocks in 2013. Since the calendar flipped over on May 1, the S&P 500 has rallied approximately 5.4% -- that's an annualized pace of 228%!
Clearly, that breakneck pace isn't sustainable. But that doesn't mean that stocks are due for a big pullback necessarily. Based on the last time the S&P went so far so fast during this rally, a period of sideways consolidation looks more likely than a sharp decline.
As impressive as the broad market's performance was last week, we managed to do one better with a handful of Rocket Stock names.On average, the five Rocket Stocks that we looked at last week climbed nearly 4% between Monday's open and Friday's close. That's double the performance of the S&P on one of the index's strongest week's of 2013. This week, we'll attempt to do it again with a new set of Rocket Stocks. >>5 Stocks Trades for S&P 1,700 For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 200 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 77.4%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks. >>3 Big Stocks to Trade (or Not)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV