Therefore, if Google can now use GPUs to provide a superior photo service, this is a huge thing in its quest to make a dent in Facebook's dominance. The verdict here will be rendered over the next many months.
Conclusion No. 3: Google's innovative use of GPUs in cloud photo processing could lead to higher demand for Nvidia's GPU cloud servers.
I wrote Nvidia Is to Intel What Salesforce Is to Oracle, on March 26 that Nvidia is three years into a six-year transformation from a PC gaming company to a mobile and GPU cloud services company.
These latest indications from Google suggest that 2015 and 2016 have the potential to be breakout years for Nvidia in successfully completing this transition.At the time of publication the author was long GOOG, NVDA, FB, BRCM, QCOM, AAPL, BBRY, and short MSFT and AMD. Follow @antonwahlman This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV