Getting Old Is Unaffordable
Around two-thirds of Americans over age 65 will need long-term care, either through at-home health care services in the home or an assisted living facility or nursing home. Yet more than 90 percent of those surveyed in the Genworth Financial "2013 Annual Cost of Care" report haven't talked about critical long-term care issues with their spouse, partner or adult children.
Genworth Financial asked survey participants how long-term care issues impact relationships, jobs, stress and anxiety for those in the circle of care -- care recipient, primary caregiver, secondary caregiver and families involved.
Having a plan before there is a need is crucial.
"Discussions about long term care issues often lead to patients experiencing less depression, less pain and less anxiety," says Amy D'Aprix, an expert in aging and care giving. Care recipients should talk to their loved ones about what their options are for care, how it will be financed and what family members might be involved in care giving. Genworth offers help starting the conversation.
Average costsThe survey reveals the average cost of various services nationwide:
- Homemaker services (hands-off non-medical care like cooking and running errands): $18/hr.
- Home health aides (hands-on non-medical care like bathing and dressing): $19/hr.
- Adult daycare (social, non-medical, community-based setting for some part of the day): $65/daily
- Assisted living facility (single occupancy, 1 bedroom, hands-on medical care): $3,450/monthly
- Nursing facility (semi-private room, 24-hr care): $207/daily
- Nursing facility (private room, 24-hour care) $230/daily
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV