BOSTON, May 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Harvard Pilgrim Health Care (HPHC), a full-service health benefits company headquartered near Boston has expanded its integrated data warehouse (IDW), Teradata (NYSE: TDC) announced today. This upgrade supports their analytics access to increasing volumes of detail data to fuel improved consumer engagement, cost containment, and a new level of data transparency with both providers and patients.
Business users at HPHC access the Teradata data warehouse to analyze terabytes of integrated detail data spanning claims, encounters, members and providers. Using this powerful data asset, they take steps to improve the overall consumer experience, improve the quality of patient care, identify gaps in care and take actions to reduce per capita cost of care.
Harvard Pilgrim has almost 1.2 million members, and a growing network of over 135 hospitals and 28,000 doctors and clinicians. They have been a Teradata customer for over ten years."The Affordable Care Act opens the door for us to add members via Health Insurance Exchanges, starting later this year. Our new Teradata platform provides the analytics foundation to help us confidently move into the retail healthcare insurance market," said Ralph Miller, Director of Corporate Information Management, HPHC. "We recently formed a new medical informatics group to spearhead analytics projects that include understanding bundled payments, partnering more closely with providers and creating new wellness programs for our members. This growth in both data and the demand for information is substantial, and Teradata is positioned at the core of our data management and analytics infrastructure." "Harvard Pilgrim Health Care continues to be a leader in leveraging its growing detailed information assets to produce ever-higher quality of insight and care across its extended community," said John Burke, Teradata industry vice president for financial services, insurance and healthcare. "We recognize the outstanding innovation and operational achievements of the HPHC Information Management team for its effective use of analytic intelligence to meet and exceed the goals of the business." Teradata's momentum continues in the health care industry as companies invest in high performance data analytics to help them make the best decision possible in the midst of cost pressures, competition forces and market changes driven by health reform. Teradata's health care customers include BKK ( Germany), the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, CHRISTUS Health, Centene, Express Scripts Inc., BCBS of Tennessee, Aurora, Highmark, BCBS of North Carolina, INPS (Italy), Medibank Private ( Australia), and many others. Relevant News Links
- CHRISTUS Health Selects Teradata and Claraview for Timely Analytic Insight
- BCBS of Tennessee Chooses Teradata - big data analytics will support complex analysis
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Drive Innovation with Teradata Data Warehouse
- Express Scripts use of Teradata – Wall Street Journal Interview with CIO
- Teradata PARTNERS EVENT video: Healthcare Informatics at BCBS North Carolina
- The Hidden Heart of Healthcare Change – Teradata white paper
- WellPoint Discusses Teradata Data Warehouse Appliance – podcast
- Data Modeling in the Healthcare Industry – the power of the Teradata Logical Data Model designed specifically for the Healthcare industry
- Express Scripts uses Teradata to "solve a problem that before seemed impossible."
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota Runs Analytics on Teradata