By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Energy pipelines have been a favorite of the bulls, and now they're looking for Kinder Morgan (KMI) to break out.
OptionMonster's monitoring systems detected the purchase of more than 5,700 December 45 calls on Friday, most of which priced for 48 cents and 49 cents. The volume was more than more than five times the previous open interest at the strike, indicating that new positions were initiated.
The calls lock in the price where shares can be bought in the energy-transportation company. Because of their cheap entry price, the contracts can generate significant leverage if the stock keeps climbing but limits the amount of money that can be lost if it drops.Kinder Morgan shares rose 1.4% to a new all-time closing high of $40.48 on Friday after testing previous peaks from 2012 in earlier sessions. The call buyers are clearly looking for a breakout to new record highs. Overall calls at all strikes outnumbered puts by more than 4-to-1 in the session, and total option volume was twice its daily average in the last month. Russell has no positions in KMI.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV