"These insights have the potential to revolutionize data management for utilities and help them develop transform their business," said Oded Cohn, director of IBM Research in Haifa, Israel, where the smart water analytics were developed. "Analyzing customer data that is collected for billing purposes can serve as a crucial factor in saving valuable resources and improving service in many industries."
In the future, IBM expects predictive algorithms to help utilities better plan for demand and as a result better manage resources, such as tank levels, pressure, and pump scheduling.
Arad has embedded IBM analytics into their Dailog3G and CityMind Meter Data Management software to give their customers the benefits of higher quality water analysis services.
- Operational benefits – By reducing the number of false alerts, utilities will dramatically cut down the amount of unnecessary technician visits.
- Financial benefits – New reductions in non-revenue water and water loss will help water companies save money and yield proven return on investment.
- Customer care benefits – The advanced features can be extended to provide customers with email or SMS alerts when a leak is detected, and enable consumers to immediately view their consumption via mobile devices. With access to knowledge and useful metrics, consumers are better informed and require fewer calls to customer service.
- Environmental benefits – Faster detection of leaks means better conservation of water and reduced waste.
IBM has established the world's deepest portfolio of Big Data technologies and solutions, spanning services, software, research and hardware. IBM has committed more than $100 million in R&D on new Big Data technologies and garnered more than 500 analytics-related patents.For more information on IBM Research, visit: http://www.research.ibm.com/ For more information on IBM Smarter Water, visit www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/water The Arad Group is an international leader in water metering technologies, with centers in Israel, the US (Master Meter), China, and Spain (Contazara). For more information, visit www.arad.co.il Media contacts: Jenny Hunter – IBM US Jennyh@us.ibm.com Chani Sacharen – IBM Research – Haifa firstname.lastname@example.org Rami Ziv – Arad Group email@example.com
 Source: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) and UN-Water
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV