Paramount points out that overseas business is up in many markets, though, so that worldwide, the sequel is off to a better start.
"Because of the nature of the franchise, because of how many movies have been made and the various forms of the TV shows, I'm not sure that Star Trek goes by the rules of normal sequels. I think each movie stands on its own, because it's a unique franchise," said Don Harris, Paramount's head of distribution. "My goal was always that we grow the franchise. We're clearly seeing by today's numbers that the movie is being embraced on a worldwide basis in a way we've never seen before."
Harris said that domestically, Into Darkness finished its first weekend 6% ahead of revenues for 2009's Star Trek, which got a headstart with $4 million in Thursday night previews to give it a $79.2 million haul through the first Sunday.
But Into Darkness had a full day of screenings Thursday plus its Wednesday IMAX business. Unlike the first movie, which played only in 2-D, the sequel also had the benefit of 3-D screenings that cost a few dollars more. Yet even with the 3-D upcharge and the earlier debut, it came away with just $4.9 million more than its predecessor through Sunday.Still, it's a solid starting place for the movie to live long and prosper at theaters, with Paramount hoping Into Darkness can surpass the $385 million worldwide total of Star Trek. "I think we're well along on that road," Harris said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV