How Your Boss Can Help You Save for Retirement
The latest Retirement Confidence Survey from the Washington, D.C.-based Employee Benefits Research Institute reports that 49% of American workers are either not at all confident or not too confident they'll have enough money for retirement. Part of the problem is that more than 50% of workers haven't established a target savings goal for retirement, and thus haven't established a sustained "battle plan" for saving money over the long haul.
"Only 46% report they and/or their spouse have tried to calculate how much money they will need to have saved by the time they retire so that they can live comfortably in retirement," says Jack VanDerhei, EBRI research director and co-author of the report.
But help is available.Transamerica Retirement Solutions, of Harrison, N.Y., advises American workers to turn to their employers for help in meeting their retirement savings needs. In fact, Transamerica offers five direct ways companies can drive their staffers to do a better job of saving money. (Those staffers have to do their part, of course, and work closely with their managers to get on the right retirement savings track.) "Employers have more influence than they probably realize in creating a secure financial future for their employees," says Patricia Advaney, a senior vice president at Transamerica Retirement Solutions. "The primary focus of the plan sponsor's actions should be centered on bettering retirement outcomes for plan participants." Advaney says what has been tried before just isn't working, and the retirement planning script needs to change. "We need to move beyond traditional, one-dimensional measures such as participation or average contribution rate to measure plan success," she says. "Helping employees retire with enough income to live comfortably is the ultimate goal of any workplace savings program."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV