Harper Government Honours Veterans At 2013 Memorial Cup Tournament
SASKATOON, May 18, 2013 /CNW/ - On behalf of the Honourable Steven Blaney, Minister of Veterans Affairs and Minister for La Francophonie, the Honourable Lynne Yelich, Minister of State (Western Economic Diversification) and Member of Parliament for Blackstrap, paid tribute today to Canada's Veterans by participating in a ceremonial puck drop at the Memorial Cup tournament in Saskatoon.
"It is important for Canadians to understand how our military history is intertwined with all aspects of Canadian life. We only need to look back to the famous games played on the frozen Imjin River by Canadian soldiers stationed in Korea during the Korean War to understand this connection." said Minister Blaney. "I commend the Canadian Hockey League for continuing to keep alive the memory of those who sacrificed for our country and for encouraging Canadians to learn more about Canada's military history."
"The Memorial Cup was originally conceived to remember players who died during the First World War and was rededicated in 2010 to honour all Canadian Armed Forces personnel who died fighting for Canada," said Minister Yelich. "By taking part in this year's Memorial Cup ceremony, our Government is proud to pay tribute to Canada's Veterans and those who served their country."
Our Government encourages all Canadians to take part in the various activities held across Canada to commemorate important events related to our military history. For more information on these activities and our funding programs, visit veterans.gc.ca .2013 is the Year of the Korean War Veteran—Canada proudly remembers the heroes of the Korean War and their brave fight to uphold freedom, democracy and the rule of law. For more information on Canada's role in the Korean War, visit veterans.gc.ca. SOURCE Veterans Affairs Canada
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV