The turboprop plane had 31 passengers and three crew members aboard, CNN reported, but an airline spokesman said there were no injuries.
After departing Philadelphia at 11 p.m. Friday, US Express Flight 4560, which is operated by Piedmont Airlines, was scheduled to land at Newark about midnight. But the pilot reported a landing gear problem and the plane circled the airport for about an hour before landing on its belly at 1 a.m. Saturday, The Associated Press reported.
Firefighters sprayed the runway with foam and as the plane made contact with the landing surface sparks flew from the aircraft but there was no fire, US Airways spokesman Davien Anderson told The Star-Ledger newspaper.A spokeswoman for the National Transportation Safety Board, Kelly Nantel, said the agency was "working with the carrier to assess the damage to the aircraft" but did not know yet what had caused the landing gear to malfunction, according to The Star-Ledger.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV