Grads Shocked by Their Own College Debt
You bet they are. But the real question is this: How did college grads not see this loan debt tsunami coming?
More data are pouring in confirming that college students are in over their heads - at least from a financial point of view. According to Fidelity Investments' second Cost-Conscious College Graduates Study, released Friday, 70% of the college Class of 2013 owes, on average, $35,000 in student loan debt private and public, as well as debt owed on credit cards and from family loans.
That amount would get you a brand-new Audi A5 2.0T Quattro manual premium automobile or 10% down on a $350,000 house. But $35,000 is also a down payment on a presumed lifetime of higher earnings, as study after study shows that college graduates make more money than non-college graduates.What's disturbing is that college graduates didn't see this burden coming -- the Fidelity study says that about 50% of new college grads are surprised by how much student loan debt they own and 39% of college graduates would have made different choices if they realized how much debt they'd pile up. That's 14% higher than the first Cost Conscious Study last year.
According to Fidelity, if college graduates had it all to do over again, they would have:
- Saved money as early as possible.
- Been more diligent about researching financial aid options.
- Kept a closer eye on their budgets and spending while in college.
But the real narrative coming out of the Fidelity study is that "surprise" factor. If college students and their families don't see a $35,000 debt storm coming, that suggests they never had a financial plan in the first place.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV