NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The nation's largest banks again led the way on Friday, as the broad indices pushed to record highs.
Dow Jones Industrial Average
The KBW Bank Index (I:BKX) was up 2% to close at 61.13, with all 24 index components showing gains.
Two upbeat economic reports helped restore investor enthusiasm, following a brief pause for the market rally on Thursday.The University of Michigan Consumer Sentiment Index rose significantly to 83.7 in May from 76.4 in April. The May reading was the highest level for the index since Sept. 2007,. The consensus expectation among economists polled by Thomson Reuters was for the index to improve to 78 in May. The Conference Board said its Leading Economic Index (LEI) rose by 0.6% during April to 95.0, following a decline of 0.2% in March and an increase of 0.4% during February. This was the highest level for the index since February 2012, coming in ahead of a consensus estimate for an increase of 0.2%.
Board economist Ataman Ozyildirim said the rebound during April was "led by housing permits and the interest rate spread. Labor market conditions also contributed, although consumers' outlook on the economy remains weak. In general, the LEI points to a continuing economic expansion with some upside potential." For investors worried about an overheated stock market, FactSet analyst John Butters had some interesting comments. In his firm's Earnings Insight report on Friday, Butters wrote that "the forward 12-month P/E ratio for the S&P 500 now stands at 14.4, based on
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV