PLEASANTON, Calif., May 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Safeway Inc. (NYSE: SWY) and The Safeway Foundation today announced they raised and donated more than $10.8 million in April for Easter Seals, Special Olympics and a range of other charities that support people with disabilities.
This year's campaign brings the total donation from the annual Support for People with Disabilities campaign, along with other fundraising activities, to $150 million to benefit some of the most respected and prominent charities that help people with disabilities live fuller lives.
"We are extremely grateful for each and every contribution that will help improve and transform the lives of countless people and ensure their disability doesn't define their lives or limit their personal potential," said Larree Renda, Safeway Executive Vice President and Chair of The Safeway Foundation.
Each of the company's Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Dominick's, Tom Thumb, Randalls and Carrs stores collected donations at checkstands throughout April. In addition, the company and The Safeway Foundation partnered again with Rebuilding Together, the nation's leading non-profit providing critical repairs and accessibility upgrades to low-income homes and community centers, to renovate nine homes and non-profit centers serving seniors and/or people with disabilities.The more than $150 million raised over the years has financed or supported countless important projects. Funds donated by Safeway's customers have:
- Trained Easter Seals staff across the country to help expand visibility of early intervention programs, which are critical for special-needs children, especially those with autism or other disabilities.
- Supported 23 Special Olympics programs in 22 states.
- Helped Easter Seals provide more than 37,000 hours of after-school care and other services for children with developmental disabilities in the San Francisco Bay Area through Easter Seals' Kaleidoscope program.
- Provided free training and competition opportunities to more than 13,000 Special Olympics athletes in Arizona.
- Helped Special Olympics Colorado expand to provide sports training to an additional 806 athletes.
- Financed the renovation of 20 homes and 12 non-profit centers nationwide through Rebuilding Together, benefiting nearly 5,500 individuals across the country. More than 1,800 Safeway employees donated more than 15,000 hours volunteering on Rebuilding Together projects.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV