CHICAGO, May 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- The Board of Directors of United States Cellular Corporation (NYSE:USM) has declared a special cash dividend of $5.75 per Common Share and Series A Common Share, for an aggregate amount of approximately $481 million. Payment will be made on June 25, 2013, to shareholders of record as of June 11, 2013.
The company's previously announced transaction to sell its Chicago, St. Louis, central Illinois and three other markets (the "Divestiture Transaction") to Sprint Nextel Corporation (NYSE:S) has closed and the company has received $480 million.
"We're committed to delivering value to U.S. Cellular shareholders," said Mary N. Dillon, U.S. Cellular president and CEO. "We have a strong balance sheet and ample liquidity from our cash balances and the recent Divestiture Transaction, enabling us to issue this special cash dividend and continue to invest in our business and pursue our strategic initiatives to position U.S. Cellular for long-term success."
About U.S. Cellular®United States Cellular Corporation operates on a customer satisfaction strategy, striving to meet or exceed customer needs by providing a comprehensive range of wireless products and services, excellent customer support, and a high-quality network. The Chicago-based company had 8,000 full- and part-time associates as of March 31, 2013. At the end of the first quarter, Telephone and Data Systems, Inc. owned 85 percent of U.S. Cellular. For more information about U.S. Cellular, visit uscellular.com .SOURCE U.S. Cellular
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV