Agricultural commodity processor Archer-Daniels Midland (ADM) has enjoyed some stellar stock performance of its own this year; dhares of the $24 billion stock have rallied more than 24% since the first trading session in January. The firm currently pays out a 19-cent dividend each quarter.
ADM takes raw soft commodities such as oilseed and wheat as inputs and spits out processed products such as vegetable oil to flour on the other side. That means that ADM is about as tied-in to global agricultural commodity prices as a company can get. One of ADM's biggest advantages is its network. The firm has more than 300 locations spread across the world, providing reach that enables ADM to take advantage of arbitrage opportunities and minimize its input costs. Scale means a great deal for ADM.Because of that scale, for instance, ADM can assert some pricing power over its suppliers, even though many of the goods it deals in are commoditized. Make no mistake -- ADM's status as the middleman between farmers and food companies guarantees that profit margins are extremely thin, but the firm makes up for that limitation in volume. Extremely high barriers to entry mean that the parties on either side of the transaction can't easily (or cheaply) usurp Archer-Daniels Midland either, a big advantage. ADM's dividend works out to a 2.22% dividend yield at current price levels. Investors should look for a bump to that payout in the next quarter. To see these dividend plays in action, check out the at Dividend Stocks for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. And if you haven't already done so, join Stockpickr today to create your own dividend portfolio. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV