Adding a sunroom
Projected return on investment: 46.5%
This is another project Remodeling believes you'll recover less than half the price of at sale time.
The magazine calculates you'll pay $72,200 to add a 200-square-foot sunroom with 10 skylights -- but raise your home's value by only $33,500.
"A sunroom is a nice thing to have, but it's not something that's crucial to most buyers," Moore says.
Building an upscale master-bedroom suite
Projected return on investment: 52.1%
Expect to recoup just over half of the $220,100 it'll cost to add a 32-foot-by-20-foot master-bedroom suite with a gas fireplace, custom bookcases, a spa-style bathroom, a walk-in closet and a bar/refrigerator.
Projected return on investment: 52.7%
Moore says built-in generators have impressed Boston-area buyers ever since severe storms hit in 2011 -- but won't boost property values enough to justify the $11,400 that Remodeling estimates a whole-house system costs. The reason: Home-improvement stores sell small portable generators for $150 or less. "A lot of people figure they'd rather go the 'Home Depot' (HD) route and have something that functions but isn't so expensive," Moore says. Adding an upscale garage
Projected return on investment:
This $80,500 renovation involves updating an existing two-car garage with fresh paint and drywall, molding, a modular storage system and an epoxy-sealed cement floor. Moore says the project only makes sense if you want a fancy garage for personal reasons and add it four or five years before putting your home on the market. "It's a good investment if you can use the garage yourself for a while -- but not if you're just putting it in to sell your property," she says. "You'll never make your money back." The Remodeling 2012-13 Cost vs. Value Report is copyrighted by magazine publisher Hanley Wood, but data from the study can be downloaded for free at costvsvalue.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV