BOSTON (TheStreet) -- A new bathroom or roof can make your home a lot more pleasant, but don't expect to recover its cost when you sell.
That's because a recent analysis by Remodeling magazine and the National Association of Realtors found that none of 35 upgrades studied will boost your home's value enough to cover the job's nationwide average price.
"You can easily put something in that a buyer is just going to want to rip out," says Judy Moore, a suburban Boston real estate agent and National Association of Realtors board member.
The Remodeling 2012-13 Cost vs. Value Report compares estimated project prices in 81 U.S. markets with how 3,900 Realtors predict a given upgrade will affect a property's value.While researchers found that some projects offer 100% return on investment or better in certain markets, none do so on a nationwide basis. We looked recently at the five upgrades that Remodeling found offer the best ROIs. Below is a look at the five that researchers believe offer the worst. Creating a home office
Projected return on investment: 43.6%
Moore says that while some house-hunters appreciate an elaborate home office, "it's an individual preference. Many people will just use the kitchen table, the basement or an extra bedroom as home offices." Remodeling estimates that you'll recoup less than half of the $27,300 you'll spend to convert an existing 12-foot-by-12-foot room into a home office with custom cabinets, a 20-foot desktop, a computer workstation, carpeting and communications lines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV