Now, Google did make some mistakes. It talked during its quiet period. It didn't register all the shares given to employees before the IPO. It hoped to get up to $135/share. It got less.
Morgan Stanley learned its lesson. It hyped the Facebook IPO to the skies. It pounded the table for the maximum price on the shares being sold. It got that maximum price and the stock hasn't been that high since.
What the speculators wanted was to get in cheap and get a "pop" on the stock on the day of the offering, for a quick profit. This is what all those cool Internet stocks did when Hambrecht & Quist was taking them public in the 1990s. H&Q itself sold out at the peak of the Internet bubble to JPMorgan Chase (JPM), for $1.35 billion, Wikipedia recalls. Founder Bill Hambrecht went on to patent a Dutch auction method called OpenIPO.
I really wish Bill Hambrecht had sold my friend Rufus' house back in the day. Or that Morgan Stanley had. So some speculators got fleeced on Facebook. Big deal.I'll just call it Rufus' revenge. At the time of publication, the author was long GOOG. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV