TSX: MFI www.mapleleaffoods.com
TORONTO, May 16, 2013 /CNW/ - Maple Leaf Foods Inc. (TSX: MFI) today released its first Sustainability Report highlighting the Company's sustainability and community outreach efforts to date with a particular focus on 2012.
"Our challenge and opportunity is to provide people with healthy, affordable, great tasting food produced in a sustainable and profitable way," said Michael McCain, President and CEO, Maple Leaf Foods. "This report represents the first formal account of our efforts in critical areas of sustainability. More importantly it reflects our commitment to do more and to openly sharing our progress against these goals."
The report can be viewed by visiting: www.mapleleaffoods.com/sustainabilityHighlights of Maple Leaf's sustainability efforts include: Economic Contributions
- Investing approximately $770 million to increase our scale and productivity and the global competitiveness of the Canadian food industry.
- Maple Leaf has a deep values based culture and embeds a strong emphasis on personal and professional development and values alignment at all levels of the organization.
- Maple Leaf led Canada's food industry in developing a full Naturals line of prepared meat products containing no artificial preservatives or ingredients.
- In 2012, Ninety-five percent of waste from 40 of Maple Leaf's manufacturing facilities was diverted from landfills, representing approximately 80 per cent of our total production.
- Maple Leaf established a five member Food Safety Advisory Council, including food safety experts from Canada, the US and the UK, which keeps the Company current on emerging global issues and advancements.