A decade ago, it looked like downloadable digital tracks might just kill the music industry. Now, it may well be its salvation.
Google’s (GOOG) pending launch of a new streaming service is the latest sign of how digital music is reviving the global recording industry. The search engine giant’s new music service is called Google Play Music All Access. It will work across multiple devices and it'll cost about $9.99 per month.Users will get playlists of related artists sent to them from the Google Play library and customers will have the ability to swipe out tracks they don’t want to listen to. The service also gives users the option to manually add songs to a playlist or ask for recommendations. Google now enters an arena already populated by services such as Pandora (P), Spotify, Microsoft’s (MSFT) Xbox Music, Rdio, and other similar products. Next up could be Apple (AAPL), which may be close to launching a Pandora-like service sometime later in the year. iTunes site. The music store, which started out more than a decade ago with 200,000 songs, reached its 25 billionth download earlier this year. Yet with the arrival of cloud content storage, the whole download-to-own model has become far less popular. In other words, the great disruptor of music (Apple) has been disrupted by newer players and now needs to rethink its approach. Google and Apple (should it take the plunge) will have big size advantages if they can develop streaming services that really click with consumers. In this game, scale matters because of royalty costs that must be paid by music streaming services to artists and recording labels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV